Saturday, August 02, 2014

Dendrobium Pure Doreen

I originally purchased the parent plant of this hard-cane dendrobium two years ago as a bareroot. It was labelled "Pure Doreen". I can't seem to find pictures of this cultivar online to confirm, but I hope it's not a mislabel. I have reason to be skeptical because I have received too many orchid mislabels. 

Only afterwards did I notice something didn't look right with the canes.  It turned out that the plant was dying, but it did produce a long beautiful spike of flowers, its swan song of sorts. Fortunately, all was not lost, as it also produced a keiki just before it died.

The keiki grew slowly, as most orchids do, and finally graced me with its lovely maiden blooms. Its purple and white two-toned flower is quite pleasing.   



For the care of hard-cane dendrobiums, see previous post here.

Shared with:

18 comments:

rainfield61 said...

These flowers have a mouth which seem to say something.

Lean your ears and tell us please what is that.

DeniseinVA said...

Of incredible beauty these orchids. Thank you so much for sharing them with Today's Flowers.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous orchid.

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Fabulous colours!

Happy Sunday,
Ruby

Ela said...

Just a gorgeous flower ! Great shots!

maryaustria said...

A beautiful orchid! Wonderful colors!

Anonymous said...

Quite beautiful!

Villrose said...

Pretty! Mislabeling is unfortunately common in the plant world...

Karen said...

A gorgeous orchid!

Hansedeern said...

Fantastic close up!
Hugs Rivien

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot, I quite often turn to flowers when the bugs are scant.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful.

Laura said...

How gorgeous these blooms! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro:-)

Savicious said...

Amazing colors and shapes! I like it :)

Would you like to follow each other? Let me know! :)

http://savicious-photography.blogspot.com/

Savicious said...

Hi! Following you now! :)

savicious-photography.blogspot.com

organicgardendreams said...

What a beautiful dendrobium orchid! Even though the original plant died you have been so lucky that it produced a bulbet prior to that, so that you didn't loose the variety. Wishing you a nice rest of the weekend!
Christina

Stephanie said...

How pretty, Trini Garden! I love this Pure Doreen!! The colour is like a gem. Now I can't wait for mine to bloom again...

Andrea said...

Orchids are always beautiful, no matter what species or cultivar or color. I am glad you were able to make it live.