Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thai Aglaonema

If croton (codiaeum variegatum) and dumb cane (dieffenbachia) had a lovechild this would be it. With many varying colour and leaf types, these cultivars have taken the plant world by storm. From the understated to the almost gaudy, there is sure to be one to your liking.



This pink cultivar has been with me a couple of months now. It started as one main stalk with a smaller offset. It has since started to produce more offsets and is growing quite nicely. My only complaint is that the intensity of the pink variegation tends to vary from leaf to leaf, possibly due to light and/or fertilization issues.  


3 comments:

Hoehoegrow said...

My first visit to your blog ! Is the pink stronger in the new leaves or is it pretty random ? We would have it as a houseplant here in the Uk, and, if it was lucky, it might get to go outside for 8 weeks in the summer, for its summer holiday !

Mystic Dreamer said...

Hi Jane. Thanks for the visit. The pink colouration is somewhat random on the new leaves. Some leaves have stronger colouration than others. I have it outside in shady conditions on my patio. It sometimes gets a little bit of sunshine, but not too much. I've added two more thai aglaonemas to my collection and would post about them sometime in the future.

James David said...

I had this variety but it died.
I got two hardier ones and another which never seemed to grow.
Sometimes I wonder whether the more the hybrid selection - the more sensitive it gets.