Monday, March 03, 2014

Pink Amaryllis

Last month I visited one of the larger garden outlets on the island. To my surprise they had tons of imported amaryllis bulbs in bloom. I was waiting two years for new bulbs and they didn't even advertise the shipment, which they usually do!  

Most of the bulbs seemed to have already been sold, and the ones already sending out scapes and/or in bloom were potted up and sold at a higher price. I wasn't going to purchase those, so to my delight I found two boxes of bare bulbs slightly discounted. Initially there was several varieties but only these were left so I was somewhat disappointed. In addition, these two varieties were labelled Picotee, which I already have one of, and 'Red Lion', which is a common red. Nothing to get excited about. It's been so long since I had imported bulbs so I still purchased one of each and quickly potted them up anticipating their gorgeous blooms.

'Red Lion' sent up a scape first. The scape began to unfurl and it seemed odd. It was dark pink instead of red! Pink amaryllis cultivars are not as common as the red and white ones so it is a pleasant surprise. I am actually glad this one is a mislabel.   

 
This is not the first time I received a mislabeled bulb. Amaryllis bulbs are mislabeled far too often. In this instance it worked to my benefit but what about those who purchase special cultivars only to receive a more common one? I wouldn't be too pleased.   


Shared with:



4 comments:

Laura said...

absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing the love up-close with I Heart Macro:-)

Unknown said...

Wonderful! My favorite Christmas flower.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Arresting photo!

One Red Blossom

Linda said...

Magnificent photos!